Angelina County, Texas
Cities, Towns & Communities
Burke | Cheeseland | Diboll | Emporia | Elysium | Eudora | Ewing | Herrington's | Homer (Angelina) | Hoshall | Hudson | Huntington | Ivy | Jonesville | Lufkin | Marion | Manning | Mott | Oma | Pollok (Pollock) | Shawnee | Teran | Whitehouse | Zavalla
Angelina County. Created and organized in 1846. Originally a part of Nacogdoches County. Bears the name of the river traversing the region. The following towns have served as the county seat: Marion, 1846-1854; Jonesville, 1854-1858; Homer, Feb. 3 - May 17, 1858, when its name was changed to Angelina, 1858 - 1890; Lufkin 1890. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1936. Located at Louis Bronaugh Park, near Lufkin City Hall.
Ivy, Ora, Eudora and Mott, are small trading points, with a store and post office, situated in different parts of the county. - History and description of Angelina County, Texas, 1888
Angelina County History 1940. The Houston, East & West Texas Railroad which had reached Moscow (Polk County) in 1880, was the first rail line to cross Angelina County. It was extended to Burke in 1881 and on to Nacogdoches in 1882, Lufkin becoming one of the new stations on the line. The second line to tap the county began at Tyler in 1881 as the Kansas & Gulf Short Line, which was completed to Lufkin a few years later. It became a part of the Cotton Belt in 1887, was operated as the Tyler & Southeastern from 1890 to 1899, when it again became a part of the Cotton Belt (St. Louis & Southwestern) and has branches extending from Lufkin to Manning, and southeastward into San Augustine County.
The Sabine & East Texas Railroad was constructed to the south side of the Neches River in 1882 from Sabine Pass as far as Rockland. Acquired by Southern Pacific interests in 1899, it became the Texas & New Orleans, and the entire line between Dallas and Beaumont was put into operation in 1903. Also in this year the Cotton Belt was built east from Lufkin to Warsaw in San Augustine County.
During the following ten years Angelina became a regular network of rail lines reaching to all the important lumber camps. Within a short time towns sprang up along these railways, the more important being Huntington, Burke, Zavalla, Diboll, Homer and Pollok. Continue Reading Angelina County History 1940 >>
History and Description of Angelina County, Texas 1888. Read it online from luftex.com. pdf version.