Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Bowie County, Texas

Cities, Towns & Communities

Bassett | Boston | Corley | Dalby Springs | De Kalb | Hooks | Leary | Maud | Mill Creek | Myrtle Springs | Nash (T. C. Junction) | New Boston - county seat | Oak Grove | Old Boston | Red Lick | Redwater (Mooresville, Ingersoll) | Simms | Texarkana | Wake Village

History

Bowie County.  In 1836 a part of Red River County. Created December 17, 1840; organized February 1, 1841. Named in honor of James Bowie, 1785-1836; member of Long's Expedition, defender of Texas liberty, a martyr of the Alamo. Old Boston, 1841, Texarkana and New Boston have served as county seat. Replacement text (1971): Named for James Bowie (1799-1836), who fought for Texas freedom from 1819, when he joined the Long Expedition, to 1836-- when he died in defense of the Alamo. Inhabited before 1800 by agricultural Indians, charted 1819 for Anglo-American settlement, this was Red River County land when Texas Republic was founded in 1836. Bowie County was created Dec. 18, 1840; organized Feb. 1, 1841. County seats: DeKalb, Old Boston, Texarkana, and Boston. Forceful citizens joined in beginning railroad construction in 1857. economy is based on agriculture, lumber, manufacturing. Erected by the State of Texas - 1971 - Historical Marker Text.  Located on the Bowie County Courthouse grounds

Bowie County History 1940.  In 1840 the area comprising Bowie County was detached from Red River County and formally came into existence as a legal entity in 1841. The original Bowie County included the present Counties of Cass, Marion, Titus, Franklin and Morris; Cass and Titus taking most of its territory in 1846. Bowie County was in the path of two routes of migration, one by way of Red River, the other southwestward across Arkansas, crossing Red River at Pecan Point, or Fulton, by the land route from Little Rock. That many remained is shown by the fact that the population increased forty-three per cent between 1850 and 1860. In 1856 there were postoffices at Boston, the county seat, Mill Creek and Myrtle Springs. Dalby Springs was settled in 1839, but did not acquire a postoffice for some time.

Construction work on the Memphis, El Paso and Pacific had started three years before the war, near Texarkana. It was not until about 1870 when nearly fifty miles of this road was in operation, west of Texarkana. When this line became part of the Texas and Pacific, a branch known as the Trans‑Continental Division was constructed between Texarkana and Sherman. Further developments by the Texas and Pacific connected Texarkana and Marshall in 1875. In 1883 Texarkana also received railroad facilities from the Texas and St. Louis. Other railways followed, and today Bowie County is served by the main lines and branches of the Texas & Pacific, Cotton Belt and Kansas City Southern, together with various bus lines that maintain regular schedules, and trucking companies.  Continue reading Bowie County History 1940 >>

Historical Markers in Bowie County 1940

Bowie County Courthouses

Histories

Bowie County Basic Background Book by J. J. Scheffelin

A History of Bowie County, 1937 by Barbara Overton Chandler

Bridge Across the Sulphur River, Tex, 1920

Bowie County, Texas Historical Handbook, 1976 by the ‎Bowie County Historical Commission

Dictation from John A. Talbot:  Texarkana, 1887

Daughter of Destiny: Memoirs of a Bowie County, Texas Farm Girl, 1995, by Carlene Howell

The First Settlers of Bowie and Cass Counties, Texas: From the Originals in the General Land Office & Texas State Archives Austin, Texas, 1983

Cemetery Books

College Hill Cemetery, Church and School

Read Hill Cemetery (includes Paupers Graves) 

Lenox Hill Cemetery, Bowie County, Dekalb, Texas

Red Bayou Cemetery and History Bowie County Texas, 1998

Malta Cemetery, New Liberty Hill Cemetery, Old Liberty Hill Cemetery, Old Salem Cemetery, Old Wimberly Cemetery, Woodstock Cemetery

Location

Boston, TX 33° 27' 35.4312" N, 94° 24' 55.7244" W