Brazos County, Texas
Brazos County,Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information
Brazos County, located between the Navasota and Brazos rivers in southeast central Texas is surrounded by Burleson County to the northwest, Grimes County to the east, Madison County to the northeast, Robertson County to the northwest, and Washington County to the south. Bryan, the county seat and College Station, the largest city are about 100 miles northwest of Houston.
Cities, Towns & Communities
In 1837 most of the area of present-day Brazos County was included in Washington County. The Brazos River, which bisected the latter, proved a serious obstacle to county government, and a new county, Navasota, was formed in January 1841. The first court was held later that year fourteen miles west of the site of present Bryan. The county seat, named Boonville for Mordecai Boon. In January of the following year Navasota County was renamed Brazos County. The county remained overwhelmingly rural in the 1850s; only two families lived in the county seat in 1852, and only two post offices, Boonville and Millican, operated in the county in 1856 .In 1866 the Houston and Texas Central Railroad resumed construction past Millican, and county citizens voted to make a site on the railroad line, the new community of Bryan, their county seat. Both Millican and the former county seat, Boonville, declined rapidly as their inhabitants moved themselves, their goods, and in some cases, the lumber from their homes and stores to Bryan. During the twentieth century, Bryan and College Station played an increasingly important role in the life of the county. After its founding as a railroad town in 1866, Bryan slowly grew to a community of 3,589 in 1900, when approximately one-fifth of county residents lived there. The nearby community of College Station, which grew around Texas A&M after its founding in the 1870s, numbered only 391 inhabitants in 1900. Continue Reading Brazos County History at the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Brazos County History 1940 This county is one of the Republic's children, having been organized in 1843 with Boonville as the county seat. It lies in the forks of the Navasota and Brazos Rivers, and the old San Antonio Road forms most of the northern boundary. The territory was included in Austin's second colony and was originally a part of Washington municipality and county. In the shifting of boundaries during the early years of the Republic a part of it fell to Robertson County, and in 1841 the County of Navasota was created with the river boundaries as described, and the northern line following the old Camino Real westward from the Navasota River to "a point on the road south of Leander Harl's residence, and thence in a straight line to the crossing of the Brazos at old Fort Tenoxtitlan."
For some reason the new county was not then organized, and a later act of Congress renamed it Brazos. Seven years after its organization the census counted only 466 white people and 148 negroes in the county. The county seat, in accordance with the constituting act, was located within five miles of the center of the county and named Boonville. Here it remained until the railroad came to Bryan in the latter 'sixties and the vote of the people made it the capital. Continue reading Brazos County History 1940 >>
Brazos County History: Rich Past–Bright Future, 1986 by Glenna Fourman Brundidge
|Methodist Church, Bryan, Texas||Texas A&M College Birds Eye View, College Station, Texas 1932||Washington Street, Bryan, Texas 1908|