Farmersville is located in east central Collin County on the William B. Williams Survey. In 1845 John Yeary and family came to east Collin County from Tennessee and settled two miles northeast of present Farmersville. There he opened a store and the community was first called "Yeary's Place" and later "Sugar Hill." In 1849 William Gotcher donated the land for a townsite too miles southwest of Sugar Hill and the new location was given the name "Farmersville" because a large number of farmers had settled in that vicinity. The first residence lot in the new town was bought by George Dollihite. J. E. Sherwood erected the first business building. Pitts Chisum opened a general store in 185o. Some other early residents of the area were: Rev. Moses Jones, Dr. H. M. Markham, Dr. A. H. Neathery, Jacob Moore, David L. Wilcoxen, Colonel Jim Harris, J. P. Bickley, Ed C. Box, Mart Harwick, Reuben Wright, Alfred Thompson, Ike Rood, Elija Glass, Ed Graves, Billy Wisdom, Tom Boren, John Haven, John Utt, George Bowie, Mack Henslee, Tom Sherwood, Patton Honaker, W. C. Robinson, George Howell, and Tobe, Dan, and Dave Wilson.
A Methodist church, organized in 1856, established Brushy Creek Meeting Ground in 1873. This was long a popular community gathering place. The town was incorporated in 1873.
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway was built from Greenville to McKinney through Farmersville in 1881 and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe came in 1887. In 1885 Farmersville had six cotton gins, a flour mill, four churches, a school, and a chair factory. A bank was organized in 189o. In 195o the town had 127 business firms including a garment factory, two candy factories, a mattress factory, a cotton cleaning plant, an egg hatchery, six broiler plants, two feed mills, two floral companies, an ice plant, and a cold storage and locker plant. Farmersville is surrounded by a prosperous agricultural section and is a center for the growing of Bermuda onions. It operates its own electric power plant. It has active Rotary and Lions Clubs, four lodges, and a Country Club. In 1957 the mayor was R. B. Beaver.
Its population was 230 in 1880, 1,856 in 1900, 1,878 in 1930. 1,955 in 1950.
It is the home town of Audie Murphy, America's most decorated soldier of World War II. In March, 1956, Murphy was promoted to the rank of major in the Thirty-sixth Texas Infantry Division. Farmersville has another native son of whom she is justly proud. He is James W. Aston, son of Joseph A. Aston. At forty-five years of age, he is president of the Republic National Bank of Dallas, the eighteenth ranking bank of the nation in capital and resources. He has been associated with this bank since December 1, 1945. At Texas A. & M. College he was honor student, cadet colonel, corps commander, and captain of the football team. In 1933 he graduated in engineering and began working for John N. Edy, Dallas City manager, at $50 a month. He became Edy's assistant before being appointed city manager at Bryan. In 1939 he returned to Dallas as city manager. In 1941 he took military leave as a lieutenant. Four years later he emerged as a colonel, after having been decorated for meritorious service as chief of staff of the Air Transport Command.
Creation and Organization of Collin County from Hammond's New Supreme World Atlas, 1955, and the Texas Almanac for 1952-1953.