Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.

Coryell County Place Names

Coryell County Places and How They Got Their Names

Ashby. A steep hill on Highway 7, a few miles west of Oglesby, is named for Dr. Ashby who settled a valley farm near this before the Civil War and who died on his farm during the war. Many of his descendants still live in Coryell County.

Bertrand Branch, a tributary of Coryell Creek, named for Thomas Bertrand, who settled in the county in 1853.

Blackfoot (Davidson) school and Blackfoot Mountain are said to be named because a band of Blackfoot Indians once camped there. They are located on the road leading up Coryell Creek valley from Highway 7.

Blackwell's Branch, a mile west of Oglesby, a small wet-weather creek that flows under Highway 7. On this creek Dick Blackwell settled in the 50's. During the Civil War Dick served with the Rangers on the frontier. When he moved away in later years, he left his name permanently attached to that small stream.

Boaz. Ruth and Boaz are biblical names, according to Mr. Ben Morrison, when the two villages were founded in 1885. A very religious old gentleman living near suggested the names.

Brown's Creek: John M. Brown came to Coryell County in 1855 and settled on the creek that now bears his name. When the Civil War started, he entered the Confederate army and was promoted to Captain. He captured the outlaw Frank Horko (or Horcow) who depredated upon Coryell County settlers during the war. Horko was soon afterwards lynched.

Carter's Peak, a mountain overlooking Coryell Creek valley named for an early pioneer.

Caufield Mountain, the church and school are named for Tom Caufield, who came to this county in the early 50's. He was at one time Justice of the Peace at Gatesville.

Cave Creek, a small creek of the Bosque drainage system, so named because of the many caves in the limestone bluffs along its course. Famed as the scene of Joe Sappington's stories.

Cherry Bluff : A massive limestone bluff overlooking Coryell Creek from the west. On the steep hillsides below, the wild cherry grows in profusion. Hence the name, Cherry Bluff.

Collard's Bluff—a place of wonderful scenic beauty on Station Creek. Named for Rev. J. H. Collard, who in the 50's owned the land. Rev. Collard was one of the first members of Station Creek Methodist Church organized in 1855.

Cow House. This river, the Cow House, flows through the western section of Coryell County and was named Cow House because there were many rock shelters and caves in which range cattle sheltered during inclement weather.

Evant is located near the west line of Coryell County, on Highway 7. It was founded in 1879 by Evant Brooks. An excellent school, a newspaper, and several business establishments, with several churches adorn this excellent community.

Ewing was named by the promoters of the Temple Northwestern Railway Co., the company that made an abortive attempt to build a railway from Temple to Gatesville in 1910, according to Mr. M. E. Powell. The origin of the name was not known to Mr. Powell.

Fauntleroy Crossing: Fauntleroy Crossing, on the Leon River near Gatesville, was named for Colonel F. W. Fauntleroy, who served in the Mexican War of 1846-48, and later in the 50's settled near Gatesville. He was the first District prosecuting attorney that Coryell County was called upon to furnish. His service was with the Court of 1856.

Flat—a rural village in Coryell County, was so named for a flat strip of country near by that was covered with mesquite timber. At first it was "Mesquite Flat," but about 1895 a post office was established. It was found that Texas already had a post office named Mesquite Flat, so the name became just Flat.

Gholson's Gap: On Highway 66, south of Event, named for Frank Gholson who established himself there in 1855. He later did ranching on a large scale. It is said that he at one time owned 5000 cattle.

Halbert. Nathan Halbert came to the Leon River in the early 50's and took a grant of land across the river from what is now Mother Neff Park. He opened a ford crossing at that place which has since borne his name.

Hog Creek. In 1839, Major Erath found many wild Mexican hogs on a creek that rises in Coryell County, so he named it Hog Creek.

Hurst Springs. John H. Hurst, born Nov. 25, 1829, in Indiana, settled in Lampasas County in 1856, removed to Hurst Springs in Coryell County in 1865. Here he built a rock house and erected a steam gin. Hence the name Hurst Springs.