Coryell County Place Names
Jonesboro: Jonesboro was named for William L. Jones, who came to Texas in 1839. He served in the Mexican War of 1846-48. In 1866 he came to Coryell County and set up a saw and grist mill, where Jonesboro is now located. The post office bore the name "Jones Mill," but a wholesale shipping clerk billed some goods to Jonesboro. The people liked the name and adopted it as the name of their town.
King's Mountain was named for Crockett King who was among the first white men to establish in the Leon Country. The mountain is near Leon Junction.
Landford's Cave is in the valley near Evant, named for Perry Landford, who established a ranch there in pioneer days.
Langford's Cove: It was named for Asa Langford who established a ranch there in 1854. A small creek near Event is also named for Mr. Langford. James Carter also established an extensive homestead there in 1854. J. F. Basham also settled near Evant in 1854.
Leon River, the largest stream of Coryell County, was named for Alonze de Leon, who was sent to Texas by the Viceroy of Mexico, to exterminate the French settlement at Fort St. Louis on Matagorda Bay. This was in the 1680's of the 17th century.
Lime City is a village near Oglesby, whose population is engaged in the manufacture of lime. The lime produced at this place is nationally known for its high chemical qualities, and is extensively used in the treatment of oil, gasoline, and water.
Lookout Peak or Signal Mountain is a round peak standing to the left of Highway 36 on the way from Gatesville to Jonesboro. It is visible for long distances up or down Leon Valley. It is said to have been a fire signal station for Indians living in the Leon River Country.
Mound, a village on the Cotton Belt R. R. in Leon Bottom. Old White Mound School stood half a mile away when the railroad was built into the county. A post office was established and named "Mound" in memory of the old pioneer school.
Nathaglin Creek: Nathaglin Creek received its name from an amusing circumstance. A long time ago young people went to church and to parties on horseback. On their way to church one day, a young couple rode down to the crossing on this creek. The young man's horse crossed; the young lady's leaped the stream, throw ing her off into the water. The young man dismounted and ran to his lady love's assistance, crying out "Honey are you hurt?" Honey was not hurt, but since fermented honey makes a kind of vinegar coloquially [sic] called "Nathaglin" or Nathaglum," the people promptly gave the name to the creek.
Neff Spring, source of Horse Creek, is named for Noah Neff who settled there in 1855. This pioneer was Pat Neff's father. The Neffs own the land now.
Oglesby. W. M. Oglesby, for whom the town of Oglesby is named, came to Coryell Creek in 1853 and established a ranch. He later exchanged his holdings on Coryell Creek for the J. N. Davidson survey on the prairie. When the Cotton Belt R. R. entered the county in 1882, Mr. Oglesby gave the townsite and the town, founded on the site of the old village of Hill Top, was named Oglesby in honor of the donor of the land for the townsite.
Owl Creek, as the name suggests, was named for the many wood owls found there. There is a fine valley or farming land. The adjoining hills are covered with forests of cedar.