Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Eagle Springs, Texas


Eagle Springs Baptist Church. This congregation grew from an early Coryell County fellowship known as the Church of Onion Creek. Worshippers met in a log building until it burned in 1854. In 1858 this site was acquired for a new church building. In the same year, the Rev. John McLain, a Baptist Missionary, organized the Eagle Springs Baptist Church from the earlier congregation. Charter members inclded J. H. and Nancy Estep; Evan A. and Tabitha Culpepper; Wyatt, Naomi and Serepha Hall; F. M. Elmira, and Mary Grimes; Daniel Jones; and C. S. and Zura Strickland. By 1880 Eagle Springs was a thriving community with two grocery stores, two doctors' offices, a post office, and a school. The congregation grew also, with many baptisms being held in the Leon River. During the first decades of the twentieth century, families began moving away form Eagle Springs. The community school was closed in 1935, and in 1948 members of Eagle Springs Baptist Curch voted to disband. The church building was retained, however, for reunions and occasional services. It is one of the few remaining structures in the Eagle Springs Community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1984. Located on FM 107 West, Oglesby.

On November 6th, 1858, Rev. McClain organized the first BaptistChurchat Eagle Springs. He also be­came its first pastor. This church had as charter mem­bers the following names ; J. H. Estep, Nancy Estep, E. A. Culpepper, Tobitha Culpepper, Wyatt Hall, Naoma Hall, F. M. Grimes, Elmira Grimes, Mary A. Grimes, Daniel Jones, Serepta Hall. Upon the founding of McGregor, this church was moved to that place. For the information contained in this paragraph, I am indebted to Miss Mary Jones of Moody, who is a granddaughter of the Daniel Jones and Mary A. Grimes, who are listed above as char­ter members of the first Baptist Church at Eagle Springs. Continue Reading the History of the Eagle Springs Baptist Church from 1936 >>


31° 21' 6.624" N, 97° 28' 43.032" W