Gatesville in 1936
Gatesville in 1936
Centennial year finds Gatesville a city of approximately 3000 population, and as ultra modern as any city its size in the State. The city is eighty-two years old, and in that time has grown from the R. G. Grant trading house, roofed with bear skins, to a city with every convenience enjoyed by metropolitan communities.
The central architectural structure is the County Courthouse, built in 1897 of solid native masonry. . . . Upon this lawn there is soon to be erected a granite monument to the memory of James Coryell, for whom the county was named. The shaft of granite will contain a bronze plaque with a brief history of James Coryell. This is authorized by the State Historical Commission. The historical markers for both Fort Gates and James Coryell have had the enthusiastic support of the people at large, and especially the Coryell County Centennial Committee, headed by Mrs. T. R. Mears and including F. W. Straw, Jouett Allen (deceased), Mrs. Pearl Brown, Mrs. W. W. Winters of Evant. Later, a Highway Beautification committee was created with the following personnel: Mrs. T. R. Mears, chairman, Mrs. Clyde Bailey, Rev M. T.. Chunn, Judge Floyd Zeigler, C. E. Alvis Jr., Mat Jones, and Mrs. Schloeman. The official plants for decorating Coryell County highways were named cedar, youpon, and redberry bushes. The above committees have done much to make Coryell County people Centennial conscious.
Institutions that have exerted the highest cultural influences on Gatesville are the churches and schools. The First Baptist Church building of Gatesville is one of the highlights of architectural beauty in Texas. Built of interlocking tile, brick, and native stone. Besides an auditorium which will seat 1,000 people, the church has a pastor's study, office, modern kitchen, banquet hall and social parlors. There are four secondary auditoriums, and. including the Sunday School class rooms, there is a total of sixty rooms in the building. The system of indirect lighting is used. The building was started May 15, 1935, and the dedication took place March 1, 1936. Rev. Clarence Allen Morton is pastor.
Tho next outstanding church edifice is the Methodist building. It is a fine brick structure, and has a large auditorium. The building is equipped with all needful conveniences, a kitchen banquet hall. It has a pipe organ, the only one in the county. Rev. M. M. Chunn is pastor.
The Presbyterian congregation has a substantial church building located on Main street. Rev. James M. McLean is the pastor.
The First Christian Church has a comfortable frame church building on Leon street. The Church of Christ worship in their own building located at the intersection of Tenth and Saunders streets.
All local churches have their several auxilliary organizations and are doing a great work in maintaining the high spiritual standard for which Gatesville is noted.
The colored people of Gatesville maintain two church organizations, the Wesley Methodist Church and the Bethlehem Baptist.
Gatesville Public Schools
The public schools of Gatesville ranks as one of the most efficient and complete of the town and communities of like size in the State. At the close of the 1935-1936 school term Gatesville schools will have 321k units of affiliated credits. Sufficient and complete is the training given that graduates are permitted to enter any standard college or university without further examination. Mr. Frank L. Williams is superintendent. As a part of the school building units is the new, beautiful gymnasium. it was designed by Doyle Baldridge, built by local contractors and is modern in its class.
In 1936 a large WPA grant was secured by the efforts of a number of enterprising school patrons, for the purpose of creating a modern athletic field. The work ill-eludes a flagstone wall of native rock on the north side. An arched entrance and ticket office; the installation of a 4,800 candle-power lighting system is a part of the field. Two 300-foot grand stands, ten rows high, will seat the visitors, and when completed the field will be one of the best and most modern in the State.
The club life of Gatesville is prominent and active. There is a club for every good need and purpose. All of them widen the perspective of their members. Sonic of them adopt regular yearly programs of study and investigation on many subjects of enlightenment and training. Some are merely social, for the purpose of creating a closer fraternal bond. Gatesville is the home of the Knox Curtis Post, American Legion. This Post was named for the first Coryell County soldier to fall in battle in the World War.
Fraternal Orders: The Masons, Odd Fellows, and the Woodmen of the World, together with their auxiliary units, maintain active organizations with a good membership.
The Legal Profession
The legal profession in Gatesville is represented by a number of able, conscientious attorneys who are licensed o practice in all the courts. They include District Judge R. B. Cross, County Judge Floyd Zeigler, County Attorney C. E. Alvis Jr., and Attorneys Tom R. Mears, Tom L. Robinson, Harry Flentge, J. D. Brown Jr., Robt. W. Brown, H. C. Stinnett, and Miller Stinnett.