Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

The Grove, Texas


The Grove is an inland village on the highlands between Owl Creek and the Leon River. It has an excellent school, cotton gin, churches, and a number of business establishments. Named for the groves of fine trees that were there when the first settlements were made. This village is in the heart of a fine stock raising and agricultural country. - History of Coryell County, 1936, by Frank E. Simmons

Saint Paul Lutheran Church. During the late 1870s German farmer William Winkler and other area pioneers organized a Lutheran congregation that was formally chartered in 1883 as St. Paul Lutheran Church. By 1896 members had erected a sanctuary on Winkler's farm and had called the Rev. Huge as their first full-time pastor. When the fellowship outgrew the first church building, they moved to this site in The Grove in 1908. With deep roots in the German Christian tradition, services at St. Paul Lutheran Church were often held in both English and German. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1983.  Located 0.2 mi S. of SH 36 on FM 1114.

Mother Neff State Park. First official state park in Texas; suggested the idea for the State Parks system. Originated with a 6-acre plot willed to Texas in 1916 by Mrs. Isabella E. Neff, mother of Pat M. Neff, Governor of Texas (1921-1925) Because Texas then had no state parks, Mrs. Neff stated the land was to be used for religious, fraternal, political, and educational activities. Seeing the need for more such areas, in 1923, the 39th Legislature created the State Parks Board. In 1934 Pat Neff deeded 250 acres, and other owners 3 acres, to enlarge the original tract. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Location: From The Grove, take SH 236 about 6 mi NE to Park Road 14 then follow west 1 mi to Park entrance.


31° 16' 23.016" N, 97° 31' 30" W