Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Harman, Texas


Harman School Community Center. In 1891, M.F. Harman deeded two acres to be used for a school and gathering place until the community, known as Harman Community, moved it in 1904 to Henry Wood's pasture, near Perryman Creek. In 1917-18, on four acres bought from Milton L. and Mary Lou Harman for $200, a new facility was built here, with three classrooms, offices and a stage. A teacherage was added in 1921. Over the years, the schoolhouse served Boy Scouts, a home demonstration club and even a rat killing club. After consolidating with Gatesville schools in 1948, the former schoolhouse remained a community center, owned and maintained by local trustees and used for special events, reunions and festivals. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2002. Located at FM 580, 5 mi. W of intersection with FM 116, to Harman Rd


31° 16' 54.336" N, 97° 59' 10.536" W