Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Levita, Texas


We find that the early settlements of this place were typical of most of the early towns of Coryell County.

In 1856 John L. Montgomery settled on Plum Creek whence he moved from Fort Gates. He was born in Tennessee, Oct. 12. 1812, and was one of the first commissioners of Coryell County. A son, Baylor Montgomery, now resides near here. Other pioneers were the Simpsons, who had large land interests. And there was Alex Mayhew, Maxwell, Rutherford and French.

The community was originally known as Simpsonville, but when the post office was established it was found that Texas already had a post office of that name, and there was a request for other names. Mr. Charlie Jaye offered Levita, which was his mother's christian name. That name was accepted and in it we have preserved the name of a pioneer mother. Mr. Jaye's father came here from Illinois and was a physician.

Mrs. Mollie Coleman, who came here in 1877, say Mr. Charlie Haye was Levita's first postmaster, and served as such for 20 years.

When the railroad came, Levita was on Plum Creek, and had the following business establishments: two general stores operated by Walter Miles and Mrs. D. E. Griffin. Two blacksmith shops, owned by Charlie Coleman, and Mr. C. P. Mayes, a drug store, owned by Dr. W. C. Ament, which all promptly moved to the railroad.

In the pioneer days a man named Hatton owned a sawmill at old Levita. Mr. Hatton at that time lived on the place now owned by Mrs. Mary E. Fields, who is the contributor of the historic information here narrated. Logs were hauled to this mill from the Leon River. A Mr. Friend first owned all the land in that community and sold to the Simpsons. A neat stone tomb, under a live oak, once marked his grave, but the tomb is now partly torn away.

Levita once boasted a flour mill. It was owned by Mr. Tom Harris, who is a present day merchant of Levita. The same Mr. Hatton who owned the sawmill manufactured haw hide bottom chairs for which he found a ready sale among the pioneers

The land upon which Mrs. Fields home is built was once occupied by Indians. A camp, many stone-age artifacts have been found there.

- History of Coryell County, 1936, by Frank E. Simmons


31° 30' 53.568" N, 97° 53' 17.088" W