Frio County, Texas
|Fourth and Current Frio County Courthouse. Read more about Frio County's Courthouses|
Cities, Towns & Communities
Beatrice | Bigfoot | Bishop Hollow (Ireland) | Buckhorn | Cibolo | Derby (Otley, Lenore) | Dilley (Darington, Ford, Dilly) | Divot (Leona) | Frio Town (Old Frio, Frio City) | Goldfinch | Hilltop | Howard Lake (Miguel, Miguiel) | Keystone | Marks |Melon (Mellon) | Moore (Moore Station) | Moore Hollow | Music | No | North Pearsall | Orelia | Pearsall - county seat | Reep | Retama | Schattel | Tehuacana | West Pearsall
Frio County. (Created 1858, Organized 1871) Home of Pachal Indians before Spaniards arrived in Mexico (1519). First area explorer was Alonso de Leon, 1690, searching for Fort St. Louis founded by La Salle. Upper Presidio Road--artery of travel from Saltillo, Mexico, to East Texas--crossed Frio River and became a King's Highway , 1720. Frio Town, first county seat, was located on the road, over which Santa Anna marched to destroy defenders of the Alamo in 1836. County took name from Frio (a Spanish word which means "cold") River. The county seat moved to Pearsall, 1883. Jail, built 1884, is the oldest building in town. - Historical Marker Text.
Frio County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Brief History of Frio County, 1971
History of Frio County, 1976
From Rattlesnakes to Road Agents: Rough Times on the Frio, by Frances Bramlette Farris 1985