Fairy. First called Gap for its geographic setting between two hills, this sparsely settled community became known as Martin's Gap in the 1860s after a man named Jim Martin reportedly was killed by Indians while traveling through the area. When local citizens applied for a United States Post Office in 1884, the name Fairy was chosen in honor of Fairy Fort Phelps (1865-1938), the petite daughter of pioneer settlers Battle and Sallie Fort. Fairy and her father taught area children in a school in their home for many years, and the Fort family donated land to several area churches. Although the earliest known burial occurred here about 1880, deed records show that this graveyard was not officially set aside as a community burial ground until 1890. Among those interred here are numerous pioneer settlers, dozens of victims of the 1918 influenza epidemic, at least one Texas Ranger, and veterans of the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War. Encompassing three sections, the cemetery contains many distinctive handmade gravestones and other types of grave markers. Maintained by a local association of descendants, the cemetery is a reflection of the area's pioneer heritage. Recorded--1970. - Historical Marker Text. Location: from Hico southern city limits take FM 1602 south 9.5 miles to Cemetery (on East side of road)
United Methodist Church of Fairy. First church organized in Fairy. Chartered as "Martin's Gap Methodist Mission" on July 3, 1886, under the Rev. J. S. Moore. Charter members were Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Scott Steward, Lee Anderson, and Mesdames Hattie Chenault, G. W. Goyne, Lou Harvey, and J. S. Moore. Church building was erected first year, land for it and a parsonage being given by Capt. Battle Fort, local settler. In 1888 membership was 122. In 1920 original building was replaced by present structure. Continuous services have been held here since the church's founding. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1970. Location: from Hico so. city limits, take FM 1602 south 9.8 mi.; church is of 1602 on west side up the hill (behind Baptist Church)
Martin's Gap. Mountain burial site for frontiersman Jim Martin, killed here by Indians in 1860s, when county had fewer than 500 people. Gap bore his name for 20 years. Settled in 1873 by Capt. Battle Fort, Confederate veteran and lawyer. A post office established 1884 was named Fairy to honor Mrs. Phelps, Fort's beloved young daughter. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Location: from Hico southern city limits, take FM 1602 south 9.8 miles to marker (on west side of road in front of gazebo) in Fairy.