Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Shive, Texas

History

Shive.   In area settled in 1870s. Some of the earliest settlers were Connels, McKinleys, Nettletons, and Roddys. First school, Union Hill, opened in 1883; A. S. Andrews, J. H. Clark, L. C. Sloneker, trustees. Post office, established Jan. 18, 1884, was in first store, owned by J. W. and R. L. Shive (with R. L. as postmaster). In 1885 came the first German settlers: Louis Bethke, August Kelm, Albert Kunkel, Paul Neese, Joe Schwartz. Others followed, giving town new traits of culture and economy. By 1908, Shive had 4 churches, a school, 4 stores, 2 blacksmiths, a hotel, a gin, a barber, and 2 doctors. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker location: from Hamilton take US 281 south about 8 miles to FM 221, go west about 5 miles to marker (Marker is at intersection with spur 221 on north side of FM 221)

Location

31° 36' 47.2428" N, 98° 14' 0.3732" W