Nacogdoches, the county site of Nacogdoches, is the best town on the H. E. & W. T. Ry. between Shreveport and Houston. It has a population of from 2500 to 3000 which is constantly increasing. The town exhibits the appearance of general thrift and prosperity. The citizens and business men there are enterprising and public spirited. Business is increasing and new, substantial brick buildings, for business purposes, are being built on every side. New residences are seen in every direction. Read about the businesses in Nacogdoches in 1888 >>
Nacogdoches had its beginning in 1770, when hardy pioneers erected. their outposts at this spot, which was on the original trail from Natchitoches, La., to the City of Mexico. A granite block on a corner of the square marks the spot on which the "Old Stone Fort" stood for one hundred and forty years. The town was named from the mission to the Nacogdoches Indians which formerly was located on its site.
The University of Nacogdoches was founded in 1858 and. was the second. university established in the state of Texas. The structure built at that time is still standing and. is part of the public school equipment of the city. It is due to the founders of that college that Nacogdoches today probably has the largest public school campus in the state.
The Stephen F. Austin Normal College, the first unit of which has just been completed , is located at Nacogdoches, the citizens of the town having donated a tract of two hundred. and seven acres of land as the site of this institution.
Nacogdoches is one of the oldest and most historic cities in Texas, the part it played in Texas history being recounted at length in other volumes of this work.
Among the industries of the city are three lumber mills, an ice plant, an oil refinery, a brick plant, a large compress, a creamery, a cottonseed-oil mill and two wholesale grocery houses. Cotton is the chief product of the surrounding territory, and. cattle, hogs and poultry are also raised in considerable numbers. The population of Nacogdoches in 1920 was 3,546, and it is estimated that its present population is about five thousand. - A History of Texas : from Wilderness to Commonwealth, 1924