Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College 1927
THE S. F. A. COLLEGE.
(By THOS. E. FERGUSON, dean of the Faculty)
The Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College first opened its doors on the 18th of September, 1923. At that time the first building was under construction and because of delay it was necessary for the college to begin its term in a shack on the High School Campus. Through the generous help of Sup erintendent R. F. Davis and the city of Nacogdoches the college was able to use spare rooms and additional recitation hours in the High School plant, and under those circumstances enrolled for the fall term 402 students. By the end of the first school year the college had taken possession of its own building, and the enrollment had increased to 609, exclusive of the training school. By the end of the third year the enrollment had gone slightly above the thousand mark. This steady growth shows that this institution is firmly established in the confidence of the people of East Texas, and is insured sub stantial progress for the future.
At the present time the plant of the Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College consists of two ample buildings for administration and recitation purposes, a magnificient gym nasium for Physical Education classes, and a farm of nearly 200 acres for experimental purposes. The buildings are three story structures of brick and concrete, fire proof, modern, equipped with all modern appliances. The Library, which occupies the entire second floor of the Thomas J. Rusk build ing, is up-to-date and has a stock of reference books sufficient for high grade work in various branches of under-graduate study. The reading rooms are spacious and fully equipped with fans and lights. New and modern laboratories in Biol ogy, Chemistry, Physics, Agriculture, and Home Economics meet the demands for special study in these fields. In fact, the entire college plant is fully equipped and modern in every detail.
The faculty has grown from a staff of about twenty teachers to a group of fifty. These men and women are in the prime of life, thoroughly trained in their respective fields, and are enthusiastic in the teacher training profession. They have received their instruction from various colleges and universities both in Texas and outside of Texas. Many of them did their under-graduate study in Texas institutions and later went to larger institutions for their graduate study. The faculty is now as follows :
A. W. Birdwell, President.
Agriculture, J. H. Hinds, M. S., D. D. Giles, U. V. M. Commerce, Economics and Geography, J. H. Wisely, B. A., William T. Chambers, Ph. U., Mr Jessie .Hickman, B. S. B.
Education, W. R. Davis, M. A., Hazel Floyd, M. A., H. L. Lowman, M. A., Jno. R. Wilson, M. A.
English, Thomas E. Ferguson, M. A., Louise Hathcock, M. A., D. R. Hodgin, Louisville Marshall, M. A., Mary J. White, M. A., Vivian B. Wolf, M. A.
Fine Arts, Mrs. Eleanor H. Gibbs, Ida Prichett, B. S., Mabel Louise Terry, B. S., Grace Fite Campbell, B. S. Latin, Mrs. P. A. Sanders, M. A.
Spanish, Ruth Mays, B. S., Mary W. Thompson, M. A.
Home Economics, Edna I. St. John, M. S., Elizabeth Tucker, B. A., Wilma Wilkin, B. S. •
Mathematics, C. E. Ferguson, M. A., J. R. Brooks, M. A., Mrs. F. J. Haberger, M. A.
Natural Science, R. G. Upton. M. A., R. L. Turner, M. A., W. W. Dossey, B. S., Ann Marshall, M. A.
Physical Education for Women, Virginia Broadfoot, M. A., Thelma Jagoe, B. P. E.
Physical Education for Men, R. H. Shelton, 13. S.
Social Science, W. F. Garner, M. A., L. C. Harling, M. A., Virdian Barham, M. A.
Training School Teachers, Rosalie Biggio, B. S., Barbara Birdwell, B. A., Edyth Erhard, B. A., Mary Love, B. S., Roxie E. Osborn, B. S., R. B. Pinson; B. S.
Library, Miss Lulu Stine and Miss Frances Cox.
The Demonstration or Training School now comprises grades 1 to 9. It will be extended next year to comprise all grades from 1 to 11 inclusive. Students in this school are limited to twelve to a grade. In the Demonstration School students of the college find ample opportunity to meet the requirements for practice teaching under the supervision of well-trained critic teachers. In fact, the Demonstration School is a laboratory in which students verify. and put into practice their educational theories and principles. Here the student teacher comes in contact with new and better methods of teaching, time-saving devices, problems of making cur riculums and courses of study, and methods of lesson planning.
In the summer months, June, July, and August, the college conducts a summer session of twelve weeks which is conveniently divided into two terms of six weeks each. The courses offered are the same as those given in the general curriculum, and they are designed primarily for experienced teachers who wish further academic and professional training,, superintendents and principals who wish broader knowledge of administration, teachers in the rural schools, those who are interested in special work, such as Home Economics, Music.
The Book of Nacogdoches County, Texas : containing brief sketches of early history of the county with outstanding facts about the present progress of its agriculture, the county's resources, development and opportunities, 1927