San Augustine County, Texas
San Augustine County is in extreme East Texas, twenty-three miles from the eastern state boundary. The county bordered by the Attoyac River and Nacogdoches County to the west, Sabine County to the east, Shelby County to the north, Jasper County and Sam Rayburn Reservior to the south, and Angelina County to the southwest.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Anthony Harbor | Benina | Black Ankle | Bland Lake | Blue Springs | Broaddus | Calgary | Chinquapin | Chumley | Denning | Ford's Corner | Glen Oaks | Goodwin | Harmony | Lanetown | Macune | Massa | Maxey Town | Needmore | Norwood | Parkway | Powell (Powelltown) | San Augustine - county seat | Sunrise | Veach | Venable | White City | White Rock
San Augustine County was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel and the federal custom house. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first courthouse on the public square. The next courthouse, built in 1890, was razed to make room for the current building. Completed in 1927, the third San Augustine County Courthouse is constructed of Texas lueders stone. The courthouse was restored through a 2008 grant from the Texas Historical Commission and was rededicated on November 20, 2010. Read about the courthouse rededication.
San Augustine County Courthouse
County Clerk - Diana Kovar
100 W. Columbia Room 106
San Augustine, TX 75972
San Augustine is beautifully situated on the verge of a prairie, forty-five or fifty miles east of Nacogdoches, on a branch of the Angelina, in Zavala’s grant. It is on the direct road from Nachitoches; and is the first town that the traveller meets, within the limits of Texas, in going from the United States. It is a prosperous place, though new; and is about the size of the capital, Washington. - Texas by Holley, Mary Austin; Austin, Texas, 1935, page 118
San Augustine County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
San Augustine County Deaths from the TXGenWeb site