San Jacinto County, Texas
Cities Towns and Communities
San Jacinto County History 1940. Named for the river, which in turm was named for St. Hyacinth, and gave its name to the battle which broke the Mexican power and assured Texas independence. Since the county did not come into existence as a separate entity until 1870, its early history is included in that of its parent counties Liberty, Polk, Montgomery and Walker. The two latter were derived from old Washington, and Polk from Liberty, so this county traces its descent from two of the original municipalities. Cold Springs was a Polk County postoffice in 1856, but was later moved from its original site, and on account of duplication in name it officially became Coldspring. Its inception dates from a sawmill, the machinery for which was freighted from Galveston by Captain Wesley Ross. A Methodist church dates from 1848, and 1856 Gillette Academy was established. The second governor of Texas, George T. Wood, settled here in 1839 (in the Liberty County portion) and up to the Civil War the development was typically of the slavery aristocratic type. This explains the early development of religious, educational and fraternal institutions, the bulwark of old-fashioned Americanism.
Hither came also Colonel Robert Rankin, an officer of the American Revolution, whose sons served in the Texas army, and who died here in 1837. His remains were afterward removed to the State Cemetery at Austin. Its contact with the outside world prior to 1881 was through the river steamers which ran on the Trinity, and later the stage route from Huntsville to Nacogdoches, via Swartwout, passing through the northern part of the present San Jacinto County. Point Blank is said to have been first called "Blanc (White) Point" by a lady of French descent. The house of R. T. Robinson, built in the early 1850's was still standing at last reports. Continue Reading San Jacinto County History Written in 1940 >>