Titus County, Texas
Titus County is located in far northeastern Texas, one county from the state's northern boundary and two counties from the state's eastern boundary. Titus County is bordered by Red River county on the north, Morris County on the east, Camp County on the South, and Franklin County on the west. Mount Pleasant, the county seat and the county's largest town, is located sixty miles southwest of Texarkana and 105 miles northeast of Dallas.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Titus County 1940. During the Republic a county was laid out with Daingerfield as its capital, and called Paschal, which included the present Titus County and a great deal more territory. It was one of those ephemeral "judicial" counties which were declared unconstitutional, hence this area remained a part of Bowie and Red River Counties until after annexation. Titus was one of the thirty-two new counties created by the first legislature, and encompassed the territory later taken to form Franklin and Morris Counties.
A townsite of forty-eight blocks was laid off by John Binion, Sr., Richard Moore and L. Gilbert for the county seat, which was given the alluring name of Mount Pleasant. Organization of the county was perfected on July 13, 1846, and at the end of 1847 the assessor reported 446 voters and a total population of 5,521. Mount Pleasant and Daingerfield were the only post‑ offices listed at that time, but by 1856 there were also Gouldsboro, Gray Rock, Lone Star, Oak Grove and Union Bridge. The population in 1850 was 3,636, including 467 slaves.
During the next five years the number of slaves grew to 1,216, and in 1860 to 3,136. The total population was then 9,648, and the amount of improved land in the county was more than forty-five thousand acres, four and a half times the acreage improved in 1850. As might be expected, Titus was strongly secessionist, and sent seven companies to the war during the first year. Another was formed in 1863, making eight companies in the Confederate service from Titus County.
The population still grew during the war decade, despite war's toll, and in 1870 Titus County had 11,339 people. In 1875 it lost over half its original area by the creation of Franklin and Morris Counties, including several of its towns and villages. The population in 1880, therefore, fell to 5,959, about 23 per cent of which was colored. At this time, besides large supplies of hardwoods which still furnish a large industry, there were 896,000,000 board feet of shortleaf pine standing. Mount Pleasant (700 population) and Cookville (about 200) are the only towns deemed worthy of mention in the state commissioner's report at that time. Continue Reading Titus County History Written in 1940 >>
Titus County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.