Trinity County, Texas
Cities, Towns and Communities
Trinity County History 1940. Only one other postoffice (Lake) is credited to Trinity County in 1856, but a map of 1855 places Lake on the other side of the Neches in Angelina County.
No population figures are available for Trinity County in 1850, the year of its organization, but in 1855 it was credited with 260 slaves, 516 horses, and 7,017 cattle. In 1860 there were 959 slaves, and a total population of 4,392. The settlers were principally small farmer-stockmen, whose cultivation of the soil was confined to subsistence crops, and whose saleable produce was largely the harvest of the forests—hides, pelts, beeswax, bear lard, and bacon from their woods-ranging hogs. Traffic was mainly with the steamboats which plied the river, though an occasional drove of horses or cattle passed over the old Contraband Trail to Louisiana. About 12,000 acres were classed as "improved land" in 1860, but this does not mean that all of it was under plow.
The population was less in 1870, after the war, than in 1860, and in 1875 a part of Trinity's territory was taken away and given to Polk County. In 1880 it therefore still had less than 5,000 people, and its great forest reserves had scarcely been touched.
The Houston & Great Northern Railway (later the International & Great Northern) reached the county early in 1872, and was completed through the county by the end of the year. Continue Reading Trinity County History Written in 1940 >>