Tyler County, Texas
Cities, Towns & Communities
Bendy's Landing | Billum's Creek | Caney Head | Chester | Colmesneil | Doucette | Emilee | Harmony | Hicksbaugh | Hillister | Hyatt | Pampin's Creek | Peachtree Village | Pedigo | Providence Hill | Rockland | Spurger | Town Bluff | Warren | Woodville - county seat
Tyler County History Written in 1940. Tyler County was created by the first state legislature, and Edmund Parsons. and W. A. Ferguson were commissioned to locate the county seat. The latter became the first chief justice, and records indicate that J. P. McAda platted the townsite of 200 acres donated by Dr. Wheat, and in which he reserved a block for a home site still owned by his descendants. Sessions of the commissioners court were held at Town Bluff until the new town was started. It was named Woodville in honor of George T. Wood, then a citizen of Liberty County, a Brigadier General of the Militia, and later governor.
The assessor failed to report for this county in 1847-8, and the first population figures are for 1850, when Tyler County had 1,894 people, of whom 418 were slaves. Immigration was rapid during the next decade, bringing the population up to 4,525 in 1860. Some forgotten place-names are shown in the list of 1856 postoffices : Bendy's Landing, Billum's Creek, Caney Head, Pamplin's Creek, Paulineville, Peachtree Village, Providence Hill, Town Bluff, and Woodville.
Stage lines traversed the county by 1850, giving twice-a-week mail service to Woodville. Woodville Academy also dates from 1850, and survived until superseded by the public school system. In the election of 1861 Tyler County voted for secession by 417 to four, and old residents say that every able bodied man volunteered. There were dissenters however, in this section, and some of them foregathered in the thickets to resist the draft. A skirmish between them and Captain Bullock's company gave its name to Bad Luck Creek, in the densest part of the Big Thicket. Continued reading Tyler County History Written in 1940 >>