Georgetown was founded in 1848 by a commission created by legislative act to locate the county seat for the newly formed county. The settlement was named in honor of George W. Glasscock who donated the land for the seat of the county government. Georgetown was incorporated in 1871.
Georgetown is the home of the Southwestern University, a great Methodist institution which makes the town an educational center.
Among the products of the territory surrounding the city are cotton, grain, wool, cedar and. limestone. Williamson county is one of the greatest cotton-producing counties of the country. The population of Georgetown in 1920 was 2,871, and this figure has been substantially increased. during the past few years. - A History of Texas : from Wilderness to Commonwealth, 1924