Blue Ridge, Texas
BLUE RIDGE. Blue Ridge, on the Matthias Mowry Survey in the northeastern part of Collin County, gets its name because from a distance the ridge upon which it is located appears to be blue. Among the early settlers in this area were Williams Warden, Jr., the J. W. Harts, the Pruetts, the McCarleys, to the Dotsons. The first store was opened by James Moyers in 1860 W. A. Meyer, Henry Eakle, and I. D. Sellers arrived in 1873. J. A. Barnett had a sawmill and gristmill on Pilot Grove Creek and later added a gin. Meyer Brothers operated a store.
The town was laid out in 1876 and was incorporated in 1936. In 1957 the mayor was Lon C. Stapp.
The Baptist church was organized there in 1869, the Methodist in 1889, and the Christian in 1891. In 1901 there were four lodges in the town: the Masonic, Woodman of the World, the Odd Fellow, and Rebeccas.
In 1915 the Greenville and Whitewright Northern Traction Company built a railroad from Blue Ridge to Anna but abandoned it five years later.
On October 8, 1919, the town was struck by a tornado which killed seven people and destroyed $100,000 worth of property.
In 1949 there were twenty business houses in the town. The population was 379 in 1900, 450 in 1930, and 306 in 1950.
Mrs. George Butte, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. J. L. Lattimore, was a native of Blue Ridge. She was a graduate of Baylor University, where she met Dr. Butte, later Dean of the Law School of the University of Texas and attorney general of Puerto Rico.
Creation and Organization of Collin County from Hammond's New Supreme World Atlas, 1955, and the Texas Almanac for 1952-1953.
Blue Ridge Methodist Church. The town of Blue Ridge was established in 1876. Four years later, the Rev. W.L. Fagg donated land for a Methodist Protestant church. He served as the church's first pastor and was succeeded by the Rev. Martin Gentry. A tabernacle erected behind the church was used for summer revivals.
In 1913 W.L. Fagg and his wife bought a tract of land on this site from M.L. and Goldie Fagg. The church building was moved here, closer to downtown, so that the congregation might grow with the community. The building survived a devastating 1919 tornado that tore through Blue Ridge. The church was expanded in 1923 with the purchase of adjoining property from C.D. and Hettie Fagg Manning. The Methodist Protestant Church joined with the older Methodist Episcopal Church of Blue Ridge, and became known as First Methodist Church.
During the Depression era, the church was unable to pay a minister. Members continued to hold Sunday school classes, support the Ladies' Aid Organization and attend summer revivals. Ten members formed a missionary society in the 1940s. They raised funds through quilting bees, holiday dinners, ice cream suppers and bazaars in order to pay the pastor's salary, conference fees and utility bills. The church thrived in the 1960s and 1970s. It joined with United Methodist churches in the nearby communities of Trenton and Whitewright to form the Trinity Cooperative Parish. In 1976 the United Methodist Women and United Methodist Men programs were established, and plans for a new educational building began in 1977.
The First United Methodist Church of Blue Ridge continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of worship and service. - Historical Marker Text, 2000. Marker located at 104 N. Main St.