|Nevada, Texas early 1900s|
|More Nevada, Texas Postcards and Photographs|
Nevada, in southeast Collin County, is on the Samuel M. Rainer and William Barker surveys. In 1835 John McMinn moved his family to what was later known as the McMinn Chapel community, four miles north of the site of Nevada. This became a pioneer center before Nevada was founded. McMinn's daughter married J. E. Davis, who was later a businessman and banker at Nevada.
Granville Stinebaugh came from Missouri to Texas in 1861 and bought land near present-day Celina, but during the same year he moved to the future site of Nevada where he bought 160 acres of land at $3 an acre. His father, Jacob, and his brothers, Sam and John, also moved to that community. Granville gave the name Nevada to the town which was established on his farm, from the state of that name which he had admired so much when he crossed it on his way to California in the rush of 1849.
Sam Stinebaugh opened a general store in Nevada in 1882. Nick T. White, father of Mrs. Lou Gay and grandfather of L. T. Gay, came to the community in 1856 and bought 300 acres of land at the rate of three acres for $4. He operated the first livery stable and horsepower gin in Nevada and gave the lot for the Methodist church. Jim Gatherwright built an ox-power gin there in 1880 and R. N. Jones built a gin and grist mill in 1885. In 1883 Jacob Stinebaugh and his sons moved to Farmersville.
The St. Louis and Southwestern Railway was built through the town in 1888. Nevada has had far more than its share of hard luck. Once two banks, a newspaper, a good school, several churches, and varied businesses flourished there. On May 9, 1927, a tornado struck the town, killing twenty-seven persons, injuring seventy-five, and causing property damage estimated at a million dollars. The town never recovered from this disaster. Later, on December 27, 1956, too business houses and their contents were destroyed by fire.
The population of Nevada was 50 in 1885, 36 in 1900, and 386 in 1950.
Creation and Organization of Collin County from Hammond's New Supreme World Atlas, 1955, and the Texas Almanac for 1952-1953.
Nevada. Located in southeast Collin County, the settlement of Nevada was on its way to becoming a booming commercial city until a disastrous tornado swept the town in 1927. In 1835, John McMinn, who received a land grant for 1600 acres, moved his family to what was later known as the McMinn Chapel community, four miles north of the present-day site of Nevada. Soon, the rich Blackland Prairie attracted more settlers to the area. In 1852, Granville Stinebaugh from Missouri purchased 160 acres and established Nevada. The town incorporated on Jan. 24, 1891. There were no denominational churches in the community at the time, but an old gin house serving as a place of worship for all faiths. In the 1890s, the town had Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Christian churches. The St. Louis and Southwestern Railroad, which later became the Cotton Belt Railroad, came to Nevada in 1888 and the town slowly moved closer to the railroad depot. As a result of the railroad, nearby settlers moved to Nevada and the town prospered with a booming commercial district. Restaurants, shops, hotels, offices and fraternal lodges filled downtown. In 1902, due to increased interest, John Evans purchased land east of town and opened the Evans Addition. In addition to economic priorities, Nevada also focused on the education of its citizens. Early on, classes were held in people's homes until a school was erected. Sadly, on Monday, May 9, 1927 at 2:20 A.M., a half-mile wide tornado completely destroyed the west side of town with 27 killed and 75 wounded. Even though a large portion of the town was destroyed, the citizens of Nevada continued to work and hope for future growth. (2013) - Historical Marker Text. Marker located at Caldwell Park, Kerens and Warren streets, in front of wellhouse
Nevada Bapitst Church. Baptist worship services were held in the Nevada area before the 1880s. In 1882, the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church divided its membership to form a new congregation known as Pleasant Hill. In 1890, under the leadership of the Rev. M.M. Wolfe, thirty-five members of the Pleasant Hill Church organized the Nevada Baptist Church. Wolfe served as the congregation's first pastor. Membership during the church's first year totaled eighty persons. The first church building was completed in 1891 and served until a brick structure was erected in 1919-20. Although the sanctuary was damaged in Nevada's destructive 1927 tornado, it provided shelter for an emergency hospital and morgue during the crisis. Over the years, Nevada Baptist Church has played an important and vital role in this small, Southeastern Collin county town. With its emphasis on mission work and community service, the congregation has produced several missionaries from among its membership. Throughout its history, it has continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders. (1985) Located on Warren Street, Nevada.