Ballinger History 1922. The only important centers of population in 1890 was Ballinger, with a population of 1,128, and in 1910 of 3,536, Other towns are Winters. Miles and Rowens. The formal beginning of the history of Ballinger dates from June 29. 1886. when the first sale of town lots was held. In 1920, Ballinger's population was nearly 4.000. and it was one of the principal trading centers of Coke, Concho and Runnels counties. Among its principal industries were four gins, oil mill, compress and its Creasy Rotary Gin Saw Filer Company. Ballinger has eight churches, two Presbyterian, one Methodist, one Baptist, two Christian, one Catholic. one Episcopalian. all housed in substantial buildings. There are four schools, High School, Grammar and two Ward Schools. The Halley and Love Sanitarium and Nurses Training School is located here. Ballinger has numerous wholesale lumber, grain. grocery and produce houses. Its three banks have resources of about 52.250.000. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
Ballinger, county seat of Runnels county, is located about sixty miles south of Abilene. The town was founded and. laid out in 1886 by the Santa Fe railroad. It was originally called. Hutchins City, for one of the directors of the road, then Gresham for the general attorney of the Santa Fe, and finally Ballinger for W. P. Ballinger of Galveston.
Ballinger is the center of one of the best agricultural and stock-raising territories of West Texas. In. addition to these industries, poultry-raising is carried on extensively in the surrounding country. The population of the town in 1920 was 2,767, and. it is estimated. that it now has thirty-five hundred inhabitants. - A History of Texas : from Wilderness to Commonwealth, 1924